Overview of Village Bible Church (Sugar Grove, IL)
Village Bible Church is a Christian, protestant, evangelical, non-denominational church in Sugar Grove, IL (45 minutes west of Chicago) seeking to make disciples of Jesus. Our mission (Discover, Develop, Deploy) drives us to find ways to reach our community. In 2008, God called Village to a new vision through the adoption of two other area churches in Aurora and Shabbona. In 2013, God opened the door to the launch of a Spanish-speaking campus, and our El Camino campus was born. In 2018, we adopted another area church in Plano.
Each of our locations are connected as one, despite physical distance, because each has a similar dynamic worship experience, including "personal touches" such as live bands and campus pastoral teams. The teaching pastors at each campus preach through the same sermon series bringing continuity across all locations. The pastors of all campuses meet weekly to collaborate with each other regarding ministry locally and church-wide.
The Sugar Grove campus is the original and largest campus of VBC and averages 650 people each weekend during two Sunday morning worship services. People who attend the Sugar Grove Campus will find the quality of a large church with the intimacy and personal interaction of a smaller church.
We are currently searching for a full-time Pastor of Worship Environments to join our team. This position will primarily focus on leading all of our worship ministries but will also help guide and support our First Impressions ministries in order to help design and influence our Sunday morning experience for regular attenders and guests. We are looking for a person who loves the Lord, likes to have fun, and enjoys collaborating with others.
Position Title: Pastor of Worship Environments
At Village Bible, we believe worship is more than the music before a sermon. Worship is how we live our lives, how we love God moment by moment. This position is responsible to help lead others toward that lifestyle of worship. Part of this process involves forming healthy worship environments on Sunday mornings. Our goal is to create environments that are appealing, relevant, changing and current, in order to capture the heart of the worshipper from the moment they arrive. Since studies show most people make a decision about whether or not to return in the first seven minutes of arriving on the property, we believe it is critical to have intentional and strategic environments to welcome people and help prepare them to worship God.
The Pastor of Worship Environments is responsible for providing leadership in the development and implementation of all aspects of the different Worship Environments. The goal of the Worship Environments Ministry is to support the teaching and outreach ministries of Village Bible Church through genuine worship and excellence in both programming and presentation. This person will focus on leading people into the life transforming presence of God, and developing servant leaders who are deeply devoted to Christ, to one another, to the pursuit of excellence, and to worship as a lifestyle.
The Pastor of Worship Environments . . .
- works in close collaboration with and full support of the Sugar Grove Campus Pastor to develop a vision and plan for the implementation of worship in different settings, including but not limited to, Sunday morning services, memorial services and funerals, special functions and programs with a worship component
- oversees order of worship, song selection, sound/media, recording and lighting preparation, coordination of instrumentalists and vocalists
- is computer/tech/AV savvy (we use Pro Presenter and Planning Center Online)
- manages media distribution of sermons and special services
- oversees all weekly rehearsals, activities, and communications necessary to facilitate each worship experience
- oversees Worship Environments Department budget
- is a visionary who is creative in the responsibility of leading people into the presence of God in worship
- is a leader who is able to communicate the vision and direction of the worship experience with humility and inspires the body to join in the pursuit of that vision
- works alongside Children and Student Ministry leaders to develop meaningful worship environments, mentor young musicians, and bring a congruent value of worship for all ages and help develop worship teams for all ministries.
- seeks opportunities for enhancing and supporting other Village Bible ministries with the worship arts
- is committed to becoming intimately involved in the life and ministries of Village Bible and its outreach to the community at large
- Influences, guides, equips, and casts vision for First Impressions leaders and environments and (parking lot, lobby, welcome center, greeters)
Development of Volunteer Teams:
- Identifies and recruits candidates to serve and support worship environments at the Sugar Grove Campus; works to build and maintain highly functioning volunteer teams
- Auditions vocalists and instrumentalists
- Recruits, auditions and manages tech and AV volunteers
- Develops systems to ensure that all volunteers are equipped and empowered for service
- Personally mentors and develops key lay worship leaders within the Worship ministry
- Builds rapport with team members to influence growth and creativity
- Develops a worship team that expresses worship literature with excellence and passion
- Shepherds that team as they serve in the worship facets of ministry
- Helps recruit, train and equip first impression volunteers and teams
Heart of a Worshiper:
- is able to help people see and experience Christ in all aspects of worship
- has excellent knowledge of the Bible and is able to proclaim the gospel
- is an effective and gracious communicator
- is able to form the worship team into a community that exemplifies and models Christ-centered living
- has an ability to initiate and develop relationships across multiple generations and backgrounds
- has a wide knowledge of musical expression and literature and an ability to incorporate it appropriately in the planned worship service
- is able to create worship as a whole experience including understanding the roles of worship arts, music, the spoken Word, environment, and technical support
- has a love for people and proactively seeks to equip and empower others to serve
Personal Music Qualifications:
- An experienced worshiper with 5+ years of experience in worship leading (music education a plus)
- Strong musicianship (understanding of chord charts, music theory)
- Gifted vocalist who is humble and Spirit-led
- Skilled in either guitar or piano
- Has a knowledge of how to incorporate multiple instruments into the worship experience
- Commitment to choosing songs with strong lyrics that reflect an accurate biblical theology
- Focus on congregation leading, not spotlighting. No spectators and performers. Everyone is worshipping on the same level together.
Do you think you might be a good fit? Please submit your application below.